Follow Us Online
Previous News Topics
« Meeting With The Underground Church | Main | 1000 New Bible Schools in Russia »

Andrew's Trip to China

Andrew and Jamie spent the latter half of October and the early part of November 2010 ministering overseas. What follows is an account of the travels from the perspective of Andrew Wommack Ministries European Director, Will Graham. Will and his wife Barbara travelled alongside Andrew and Jamie as they moved between the United Kingdom and China.

From Buxton To Hong Kong

Andrew ministering with an interpreter at City Church International in Hong Kong.
(Click to enlarge)
On finishing the Buxton Ministers' Conference, it was straight down to Heathrow for an overnight flight to Hong Kong. During the flight the captain informed us of a typhoon heading straight towards Hong Kong! We were scheduled to land a couple of hours before it was due to arrive at the islands. Twenty minutes before we landed we were informed that the typhoon had turned north easterly, avoiding Hong Kong!

Our first meal was in a roadside cafe on Temple Street, Hong Kong. What a great experience along with pastors Rob and Glenda Rufus. Friday morning Andrew ministered to a congregation of around 500, with many leaders coming from Australia, Singapore and South Africa. Right from the outset we saw God move in the lives of many people, and by the end of the session on Friday night many new relationships had been formed, and God’s word was transforming lives. Andrew was greatly blessed with a translator who really helped him put the message into Mandarin.

Andrew and Jamie stand on either side of a ministry partner named Susan. (Click to enlarge)Sunday morning was again a great service, great praise and worship, with ministry of the Word by Andrew, followed by a lunch with the leaders of City Church International where great conversations happened round the table. Sunday evening was spent sightseeing at The Peak—viewing the city in all its night time splendour.

Monday saw us leaving early for a visit to an island called Cheung Chau where we met a partner of the ministry called Susan. She shared with Andrew how the message he brought had impacted her life and stopped her from committing suicide.

What a great meeting this turned out to be. Monday night Andrew taught on the power of the seed, and an amazing offering was received for the continuing work of City Church, what a great few days to the start of the tour.

Jamie and Andrew standing next to a bullet train. (Click to enlarge)Tuesday morning saw us head off to China, taking a train from Hong Kong, to a town in which we had hoped to hold a series of meetings with the underground church leaders. But the Chinese police had closed down the meetings, and we were told to catch the bullet train north and await further instructions.

The instructions came: "Get off the train and wait for further instructions." Leaders were being questioned by police. Then 20 minutes later, another call: "Get back on the train again, the meetings were back on." Then 15 minutes later still: "Get off the train immediately, and await more instructions!" So in the middle of nowhere, we got off the train. And with the help of a translator and a helpful local policeman, we were taken to a local hotel – where NO ONE spoke English! What fun we had ordering dinner that night! Through sounds and sign language, then finally a guide book we were presented with beautifully served Chinese food.

Get on the train. Get off the train. Repeat. (Click to enlarge)Wednesday morning, still no instructions, we went to the nearest airport to make our way to our next definite contacts in the west side of China. But on arriving at the airport we were told there were no seats till next day! So once more: to another hotel, sit and wait in the hope of further instructions! In the late afternoon, we were contacted by local leaders who came to visit us, and pleaded with Andrew to come and do a meeting that night with some 100 leaders who refused to be intimidated by the police warnings and actions.

However, to our amazement, Andrew said, "No." It was more important for local pastors to maintain their own ministry to their flocks, than for Andrew to speak at one meeting. And for 20 minutes Andrew ministered one-to-one with the young pastor – who shared how much he learned about following the peace of God as Andrew had just done.

Jamie and Andrew used a tourist guide book to order their meals.
(Click to enlarge)
So Thursday morning came, and once more we made our way to the airport. This time we caught the flight to western China and met our waiting friends. The next morning we visited a school for pastors and leaders children, led by a lady who would be Andrew’s translator for the next few days. That evening we then found ourselves in an international meeting, attended by many people who minister in China. What an impact Andrew’s teaching had on their lives. Praise God we had four books of Andrew’s printed in Chinese, which people took away with them. In particular, two men set up a meeting the following evening—which turned out to be one of the most significant of the whole trip.

Soon it was Saturday morning, and we were attending a meeting of the Underground church – what an emotional time this was for us—to be among people who hunger for God’s word and prayed with passion—and were so grateful that we had come. 20 plus people were filled with the Holy Spirit.

Andrew ministering in one of the underground churches.
(Click to enlarge)
That afternoon: another set of leaders met in another home, and on Saturday night Andrew found himself with a baseball cap on by way of disguise, in a 30 minute car journey, changing cars several times and ending up at a meeting of another 100 leaders. One of these was a leader of 200,000 churches. He received Andrew’s materials, and it looks as though instead of printing Andrew’s books in hundreds we will be printing them in 10’s of thousands. What a privilege to walk in the plans of God, and that Andrew followed the peace of God in his heart two days earlier when he said no to the other meeting. We were told that if he had gone to that meeting, his meetings in Western China would have been cancelled, and he would have missed this amazing opportunity to meet these wonderful leaders.

Sunday morning once more found us in a church service, where the message Andrew brought, being translated into Chinese, changed people’s lives. Then lunch, and off to Beijing.

Andrew and Jamie on China's Great Wall. (Click to enlarge)The following day in Beijing we met a number of pastors and their wives during an evening meal. These people shared about miracles taking place in their home churches, and requested Andrew to pray for them. Andrew told him he wanted them to pray with him first – because these men and women were continuing to write the Book of Acts. We gathered as a team in the middle of this private room in the restaurant, and a roar of prayer went up from these brothers and sisters, laying hands on each of us. WOW. Then we had the privilege of praying for them.

What an amazing city Beijing is, millions upon millions of people living closely together. How privileged we were to visit the Forbidden City and walk through Tian'anmen Square, where many of us can still remember the picture of a young man standing before an army tank some years ago.

Tuesday morning saw us head for the Great Wall of China.

Truly an amazing experience, walking along this wall which goes as far as the eye can see up hill and through valleys.

Then in the late afternoon we headed for Xi’an in central China.

The Terracotta Army in Xi'an, China (Click to enlarge)In Xi’an we visited the Terracotta Army, stepping into this huge excavation site made you take a deep breath at what was before you.

Xi’an itself is the last fully walled city to be found in China, 13 km around and 30 feet high – plus wide enough to drive 3 chariots along! Within the city itself we saw the Bell Tower – at one time it woke people in the mornings, and the Drum Tower, which was beaten in the evening to remind people to come inside the city walls.

The following day, Thursday, we headed back to Hong Kong, met with our new friends and returned to London.